Job Code: 08/2022
Job offer from September 20, 2022
The Max Planck Computing and Data Facility (MPCDF), based at the research campus Garching near Munich, Germany, is a competence centre of the Max Planck Society (MPG). The MPCDF operates supercomputers and data repositories for the MPG with more than 350 Petabytes of data being stored on disk and on tape backends. The MPCDF is also engaged in the development and optimization of algorithms and applications for high performance computing (HPC), artificial intelligence and machine learning, as well as in the design and implementation of solutions for data-intensive projects in close collaboration with the Max Planck Institutes.
The MPCDF is looking for System Specialists (m/f/d) (2 positions) for the development and operation of complex scientific storage infrastructures.
As part of the storage team, the applicants will be responsible for the operation of the generic block-, file- and object storage systems at MPCDF. Within our team, you will ensure that these systems operate in a secure, stable and performant manner. Using in-depth information gathered from proactive monitoring tools, combined with feedback from our users, you will contribute to further extensions of our systems - both in terms of hardware expansion/replacements and software evolution. Additionally, you will be involved in the planning and deployment of new systems such as Ceph object storage with data access, from different high-level applications and HPC systems.
Your responsibilities will also include the operation of a well established web-based sync&share service, including the evaluation and potential implementation of more scalable alternatives integrated with the generic Ceph based storage.
- University degree (B.Sc or higher) in computer science or comparable qualification
- Proficient in spoken and written English
- Communicative team player, with the ability to work independently and responsibly
- Several years of professional experience in Linux systems administration, automation and DevOps
Preferred qualifications in some of the following areas:
- Software-defined storage (Ceph, S3)
- Distributed and parallel file systems (CephFS, NFS, Samba, Spectrum Scale, Lustre, BeeGFS)
- Configuration management (Ansible, Puppet, Git)
- HA technologies (Pacemaker, Stonith, Keepalived)
- Operation of distributed web applications (HAproxy, Nginx, Redis, MariaDB)
- Cloud and container technologies (Docker, Podman, Kubernetes, OpenStack)
- Programming and scripting languages (Python, Go, PHP, Bash)
The two positions start as soon as possible and are initially limited to a maximum period of 2 years with the possibility of a longer-term extension. Salary will be based on experience up to salary group E13 TVöD.
- Helpful, highly motivated and multi-disciplinary team
- Open, inspiring, dynamic and international atmosphere
- Options for training and professional development
- Flexible working hours with options for mobile working
- Various offers to reconcile work and family life, e.g. childcare on campus
- Close by subway station (U6); MVV job ticket with extra grants
- Free parking on premise
For further questions, contact Florian Kaiser email@example.com.
Please apply with a letter of motivation and a CV online by October 30th, 2022.
The ideals of mutual respect, open-mindedness and consideration are important to MPCDF where we have a diverse workforce from different countries and cultures. We aim to increase the proportion of women in IT and therefore encourage qualified women to apply. In order to cultivate teamwork and a positive working atmosphere, equal opportunities and equal treatment play an important role for all aspects of personal identity, such as gender, sexual orientation, country of origin, nationality, language skills, race, religion, culture, appearance, family status, age, or handicap. Persons with disabilities will be given preferential consideration if equally qualified.